The day I had the Idea
08/09/2018: Three in the morning. I can't sleep, I go around and around in the bed, while the heat prevents me from falling asleep.
I'm thinking.
I need something to focus my energy, something where to dedicate my time ...
I remember some video games that I like and I start to daydream.
First of all, let's put some context: I'm in my summer, preparing myself to become independent (because in September I will go to live in London), to leave my country and everything I know. To launch myself in the adventure, but I am unmotivated. Terribly unmotivated.
I need something to do, find a hobby... I don't know, but something. Everyone has ever expected something to happen, external to us, that forces us to change our way of life, to leave our comfort zone. But that usually doesn't happen if we don't take the first step. Probably nothing will change ever, because it's also an emotional state, of being open to things happening, of being enterprising and not of waiting for someone to do things for us.
But then that night I came up with the idea of Tempus.
But ideas alone lack value, we are millions and millions on this planet, generating and conceiving new ideas every day, every moment. So an idea by itself is nothing, but if you water it, take care of it and make an effort, that idea can become a big tree and bear fruit.
So when I decided to create Tempus I was immersed in a totally different energy. I finally felt capable to do something. Suddenly the days didn't have enough hours and hours enough minutes, but I had a goal and was convinced that I could achieve it.
Ironically I started the day without being able to sleep and ended it also
without being able to sleep.
without being able to sleep.
But for a totally different cause: the emotion of who starts a new project.
But let's talk a little about Tempus: it's an adventure that aims to be totally immersive, separated into two parts (one in the past and the other in the present) where we will control both characters and discover their history, and how it relates them. In my initial scheme, it will have a duration of 4-5 hours, designed to do it non-stop, without taking a moment off the screen or give the possibility to leave the game when the first part ends (although I know that this is ideal, and probably few people will do so).
The game is an isometric graphic adventure, centred above all in the narrative and not so much in a complex gameplay or some difficult puzzles (Well God knows how many graphic adventures I left because getting stuck!). I don't want to demotivate the player, or to make him leave the game to find how that problem is solved, or to despair and decide to take a break. In fact, it's possible that it doesn't even have puzzles, and that I will create a graphic adventure as if it were a book, in which the reader discovers things, but does not really solve them, but rather the protagonist sometimes does it for him. Where we control the characters only in part, and that they sometimes act on their own ... I don't know yet, I'll finish organizing the game with the documents for that (GDD, breakdowns...).
You have information about the game's argument here.
You have information about the game's argument here.
And this is, more or less, the summary of the day ... I hope it hasn't been too long!
In the next post, we will talk about the work that implies creating a video game, publish it and get to sell it. We will organize the information a bit and decide where to start.
I wait for you there!
*I'm sorry about some mistakes that probably I make, I'm still learning English and I hope that in a month or so (because I'm going to England) I will be able to write without mistakes*
Comments
Post a Comment